Changing the World through Education – One Classroom at a Time
The students of Westwood High School in Hudson Quebec Canada were inspired by the story of one of their teachers, Jean-Claude Manirakiza who came from the village of Rwoga, Burundi. He explained how both of his parents were killed in separate outbreaks of ethnic violence and genocide. The students wanted to take action, to make a difference in the world. They believe, as Nelson Mandela does that the only way to change the cycle of violence is through education. Here’s our story, who we are, what we’ve done and what we are going to do.
Watch Westwood Bridge to Burundi on CTV’s The Power of One
- To build a complete elementary school in the village of Rwoga, Burundi East Africa
- To provide the school and village with sustainable fresh water supply and telephony service including internet.
- To assist the village in developing a sustainable economy
- To improve their agricultural practices and the overall health conditions.
- Two classrooms are already built
- Two classes of grade one students will begin in September, 2010
- We have initiated the planning process to drill a deep-water well in Rwoga
- We have founded our own NGO and charitable foundation
- We have petitioned and received support from our corporate community
- Our project has been endorsed by the highest levels of government in Burundi and Canada
That our project is the inspiration for other students and schools to take action. We want to share our project model so that it can be replicated.
We believe that the life and business skills that are being learned and experienced by our students will have far reaching positive effects for them and for the world.
To live in a world where all children enjoy the access to education that we so often take for granted.
Donate Directly to the Project (and receive a tax receipt) Click Here
Please note that this is the Pearson Educational Foundation. To ensure that your donation goes directly to this project:
- Click on “donate now” button, and
- Select “Westwood High School Africa Project” from the dropdown for “Where the funds are to go”